Senior Counselor - Admissions/Detox
Austin Recovery provides affordable, effective and compassionate drug and alcohol treatment since 1967. We are currently seeking a full-time Senior Counselor for our Admissions and Detox units at our facility in Austin, Texas.
All Austin Recovery properties are 100% tobacco free environments.
As of December 1, 2011, Austin Recovery does not hire individuals who use nicotine products. Anyone who accepts an offer of employment with Austin Recovery will be tested for nicotine during pre-employment testing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Screen and assess clients for program appropriateness and eligibility. Use DSM-IV-TR criteria to assess and diagnose psychiatric and substance-related disorders using multiaxial assessment.
- Perform counseling and treatment functions in individual and group settings by utilizing therapeutic interventions to assist clients in achieving objectives as identified in assessment.
- Perform crisis intervention function by responding to clients’ needs during acute emotional and/or physical distress.
- Perform client education function by providing information to clients concerning alcohol and drug abuse, mental health diagnosis, recovery and available services and resources.
- Coordinate daily and weekly detox activity schedule including didactic education, process groups, 12-step meetings and recreation.
- Perform assessment function by identifying clients’ strengths, weaknesses, problems and needs for the development of treatment plans.
- Make recommendations regarding appropriate level of treatment.
- Perform referral function by identifying client needs which cannot be met by the agency and helping clients use available support systems and community resources.
- Perform report and record keeping function by documenting results of assessments, financial eligibility forms, screening, admission reports, writing reports, administrative notes, billing and other client-related data. Follow-up on service authorizations and required documentation performed by counseling staff.
- Perform consultation function by working with other counselors and professionals in regard to client treatment services to ensure comprehensive, quality care to clients.
- Supervise and manage detox and admissions clinical staff including counselors and student interns. Facilitate weekly clinical staff meetings.
- Maintain relationships with referring agencies.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and in-service training sessions as required by agency.
- Work to evaluate, develop and maintain quality repeatable business practices as they apply to the clinical function of the admissions department.
- Perform other related assignments as directed by Director of Admissions.
- Synthesize data for various reports, including discharge reports and reports regarding clinical and retention issues.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-service training sessions as required by agency.
- Travels to other locations for meetings and trainings.
- Occasionally perform driving functions for the department.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective rapport with clients.
- Ability to work flexible hours and be on call.
- A valid Texas driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be Red Cross CPR/First Aid certified upon hire or within 30 days of hire.
Education & Experience:
- Current LCDC, LPC, or LMSW license with 2 years experience in the adult treatment field.
- Minimum two years experience working in the chemical dependent treatment field.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Communicates orally with management, co-workers and the public in face-to face, one-to-one, and group settings.
- Regularly uses a telephone for communication.
- Uses office equipment such as computer terminals, copiers, and Fax machines.
- Sits for extended time periods.
- Hearing and vision within normal ranges.
- Uses hands to finger, handle and feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk.
- Student Interns; Counselor Interns, Counselor II, and Support Staff.
Please click this link to apply: Senior Counselor - Admissions/Detox. EOE.