Austin Recovery is often in the news. We hope you'll enjoy the stories and information below.
If you are a reporter, writer, film maker, TV show, news program, magazine journalist, blogger, tweeter or just interested in writing about or sharing the mission of Austin Recovery, we are happy to help. We also provide expert commentary on topics related to drugs, alcohol, addiction, drug abuse, alcoholism, treatment and rehab. For any of these, please contact Ramona Cruz-Peters at 512-697-8506 or email@example.com. She’ll be happy to help you immediately.
LOGOS: If you need the Austin Recovery logo, please right click on these files to download a web (jpg) or print (eps) version.
Austin Recovery Press Releases:
Austin Recovery Headlines:
- Addicts Stealing Identities To Get Their Fix (KEYE) 5/13/2013
Nationwide, nearly 7,000,000 people abuse prescription medication. But prescription drug fraud is running rampant in Texas. Austin Recovery Senior Counselor Brooke Williams comments.
- Mother Shares Tragic Story of her Son's Death by Prescription Drugs (FOX 7) 5/2/2013
Austin Recovery's Angela Vickrey and Scott Lynch weigh in on the serious issue of addiction among teenagers.
- Love My Austin Job: Austin Recovery's Maryse Saffle (Austin American-Statesman) 4/20/2013
It was at Austin Recovery where Maryse Saffle turned her life around more than 11 years ago. Today, she’s built a career helping others do the same at the nonprofit treatment center.
- Football Legend Speaks Out About Toughest Opponent (Westlake Picayune) 4/18/2013
Hall of famer Earl Campbell tells personal tale of addiction, recovery. When Austin Recovery, the largest nonprofit drug and alcohol treatment center in Texas, hosted its second annual fundraising luncheon at Moody Theater on March 26, organizers brought out a big gun to get to the heart of the addiction issue and attract sponsors.
- Hall of Fame Running Back Helps Raise Funds for Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment (Addiction Professional) 3/29/2013
Austin Recovery, the largest non-profit drug and alcohol treatment center in Texas, hosted its second annual Speaker Series fundraiser luncheon at Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater. The event featured famed University of Texas Longhorn Running Back and Hall of Fame Houston Oiler Earl Campbell as the keynote speaker.
- Austin Recovery Luncheon with Earl Campbell (Austin360) 3/28/2013
Out & About's Michael Barnes covers Austin Recovery's fundraiser luncheon at ACL Live.
- Does Austin Have a Drinking Problem? (KVUE) 3/27/2013
Forbes says that Austin is one of America's drunkest cities, and alcohol sales are up five percect from this time last year. Austin Recovery's Angela Vickrey comments.
- 10 Social Media Awards Finalists Tweet for Better Community (Austin American-Statesman) 3/9/2013
Austin Recovery is one of this year's 10 winners for the Statesman Social Media Awards. As social media and what people do with it have evolved, so have the awards. This year’s Social Media Awards honors those who take their tweeting, Facebook posting and pinning (and so much more) to a new level by having an impact on their real-world community.
- Prescription Pill Popping a Growing Problem (KEYE) 2/22/2013
KEYE news digs deeper into the pill popping problem in Austin. While most people take medicines only for the reasons their doctors prescribe them, it's estimated an increasing amount will build a tolerance and become hooked. Reporter Angel Covarrubias interviews Austin Recovery's Chief Client Services Officer Angela Vickrey, and Family House alumna Amanda G.
- Drug Overdose Deaths Only Getting Worse (FOX 7) 2/20/2013
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, drug overdose deaths have only gotten worse. Austin Recovery Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Cyndi Kidd weigh in on the rise in prescription drug abuse and overdose.
- Heartburn High (KEYE) 2/12/2013
Just like products containing pseudoephedrine, some drug stores now keep heartburn medication under lock and key. A KEYE Reporter speaks with Austin Recovery's Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner and an Austin Recovery alumna about the use of over-the-counter meds to enhance highs.
- Study: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms Could Help Cancer Patients (KEYE) 2/6/2013
A new study finds the active chemical in some mushrooms may help cancer patients who are suffering from psychological distress. Austin Recovery experts weigh in.
- DWI Tests Turning up more than Alcohol (KXAN) 2/5/2013
Blood samples showing legal and illegal drugs. Austin Recovery Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch and Nurse Manager Debbie Hooks contribute.
- Football Great Earl Campbell to Share his Rise over Addiction (Renew) 1/18/2013
The legendary Longhorn running back will be keynote speaker at Austin Recovery spring event.
- Merger of Texas Centers Enhances Continuum of Services (Addiction Professional) 1/16/2013
Mel Taylor, the CEO of two newly combined addiction treatment organizations with a strong presence in Houston and Austin, Texas firmly believes that the type of business transaction he has seen to completion will be duplicated in many other locations.
- Austin Recovery Merging with Houston Drug Program (Austin American-Statesman) 1/11/2013
After 45 years of operation, Austin Recovery is merging with a Houston nonprofit that also treats Texans for alcohol and drug addiction.
- Austin Recovery, Houston Nonprofit Merge (Austin Business Journal) 1/10/2013
Austin Recovery, the largest nonprofit provider of residential drug and alcohol treatment in Texas, has merged with the Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston.
- Marijuana Now Legal in Washington (FOX 7) 12/6/2012
Austin Recovery Chief Client Operations Officer Angela Vickrey comments on marijuana's effect on the body.
- With Pressure to Succeed Heavy upon Students, Prescription Pills Take Over Texas Schools (KEYE-TV) 11/8/2012
Austin Recovery Medical Director Dr. Craig Franke and Admissions Director Angela Vickrey lend their professional expertise to an in-depth story about Adderall abuse among high school and college students.
- Royal Gave to the Austin Community in Many Ways (Austin American-Statesman) 11/7/2012
Legendary Texas Coach Darrell Royal leaves a legacy of more than just football, having given back to the local community in many ways, including his and his wife Edith's decades-long support of local non-profit drug and alcohol treatment center Austin Recovery.
- DEA: Dangerous Synthetic Drugs Shipped from Overseas (KEYE) 11/5/2012
Austin Recovery Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch speaks with KEYE regarding synthetic drugs.
- A&E's 'Intervention' Makes Stop in Austin (Statesman.com) 9/10/2012
A&E’s highly rated “Intervention” series pays a visit to an Austin alcohol and drug treatment center tonight. This marks the third time Austin Recovery has teamed up with the show.
- Nonprofit news: Austin Recovery on A&E's "Intervention" (Austin Business Journal) 9/7/2012
Austin drug and alcohol treatment center Austin Recovery will be featured on A&E’s “Intervention” Sept. 10 at 9 p.m.
- How Integrating Physical and Information Security Mitigates Risks (CIO Magazine) 9/4/2012
Though both are critical, physical and information security remain separate entities at many organizations. However, you can get a better grip on overall risk by integrating the two. Austin Recovery, a drug and alcohol treatment center, successfully took on the integration challenge-- and what it learned can teach corporations valuable lessons. Austin Recovery CEO Jonathan Ross interviewed.
- New Warning about Kratom Use (KXAN) 8/11/2012
Austin Recovery Admissions Director Angela Vickrey comments on the recent surge in Kratom users at the treatment facility.
- The State of the Rehab Union (TheFix.com) 8/5/2012
Results of an exclusive new survey conducted by The Fix reveal why people check into rehab today, why they choose where they go, how long they stay—and the recent and troubling rise of poly-substance abuse. Austin Recovery CEO Jonathan Ross interviewed.
- Texas A&M Medical Students to Train at Austin Recovery (Austin Business Journal) 8/2/2012
Austin Recovery has joined forces with the Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine to provide clinical training for medical students in the chemical dependency treatment field.
- Authorities Sieze Bath Salts in Austin Drug Bust (FOX 7) 7/27/2012
Austin Recovery Director of Clinical Development Ilana Zivkovich speaks with FOX 7 about the recent trend in bath salts use.
- Austin Recovery gets Grant for Addict Programs (Austin Business Journal) 7/26/2012
Local nonprofit Austin Recovery has been awarded a $356,100 grant by the St. David’s Foundation to support its substance abuse services.
- Website Enables Easy Illegal Drug Sales (KXAN) 7/5/2012
Austin Recovery alumna Cary A. and Director of Clinical Development Ilana Zivkovich speak to KXAN's Leslie Rhode about the online illegal drug merchant, Silk Road.
- Family: Missing Man Used Bath Salts (KXAN) 6/26/2012
Angela Vickrey, Director of Admissions at Austin Recovery speaks to KXAN about bath salts after it is suspected that a missing Texas man was using them.
- FBI Bust Exposes Heroin 'Subculture' (KXAN) 6/22/2012
Austin Recovery's Director of Admissions, Angela Vickrey speaks to KXAN about Austin's tight-knit heroin subculture after the recent FBI raid at Jovita's restaurant.
- UT Researchers Hope to Create Drug to Treat Alcohol Addiction (The Horn) 6/5/2012
University of Texas researchers are looking at how alcohol affects brain receptors and gene expression in hopes of treating alcohol addiction. Austin Recovery Director of Clinical Development, Ilana Zivkovich weighs in.
- Kicking the Habits (KUT Radio) 2/16/2012
A local group that serves people wanting to kick drug habits may end up helping them with another: smoking and tobacco use. One of Austin’s largest drug addiction treatment centers is going tobacco-free.
- No-Smoking Trend Picks up Steam in Recovery Centers (Renew) 2/11/2012
Austin Recovery, the largest inpatient addiction treatment center in Central Texas and one of the biggest in the state, is going smoke-free April 30. CEO Jonathan Ross said he believes it's inevitable that all licensed treatment centers in Texas become smoke-free — just as New York and New Jersey have required.
- Big Texas Rehab Bans Tobacco (TheFix.com) 2/10/2012
"Smoke 'em if you got 'em," says Austin Recovery—because soon the treatment facility is going entirely tobacco-free.
- Largest Addiction Treatment Facility in Central Texas says, 'No Smoking' (Austin American-Statesman) 2/10/2012
Austin Recovery to become completely tobacco-free, effective April 30, 2012.
- Advocate for Medical Marijuana Speaks Out (FOX 7) 2/6/2012
Austin Recovery Medical Director, Dr. Craig Franke comments on the downside of medical marijuana-use.
- A&E's Intervention Comes to Austin (KEYE - Austin Live) 1/9/2012
Austin Recovery's Ilana Zivkovich on Austin Live talking about our second appearance on A&E's "Intervention."
- Glossy Parties (Austin American-Statesman - Glossy) 12/2/2011
Rob Lowe captivated a packed audience by sharing his story of more than two decades in recovery.
- Out & About November 2011 (In Touch Weekly) 11/30/2011
On November 8, NBC's Parks and Recreation star Rob Lowe was the guest speaker at Artists on Recovery, a fundraiser hosted by Austin-based drug and alcohol treatment center Austin Recovery.
- Rob Lowe Talks Sobriety at Drug and Alcohol Treatment Center Fundraiser (Ecorazzi) 11/18/2011
Actor Rob Lowe spoke from the heart at the Artists on Recovery Fundraiser, a charity event to benefit Austin Recovery, a drug and alcohol treatment center.
- Rob Lowe Speaks at Recovery Center Benefit (Look to the Stars) 11/17/2011
An online publication that follows the world of celebrity giving provides a recap of the Artists on Recovery benefit featuring keynote speaker, Rob Lowe.
- Artist on Recovery: Rob Lowe (TRIBEZA) 11/10/2011
Rob Lowe spoke about recovery in support of Austin Recovery's new Family House at ACL Live.
- Artists on Recovery Event Raises Over $800,000 (Austin Social Planner) 11/9/2011
Austin Recovery's Artists on Recovery event "left you feeling moved and in awe."
- Rob Lowe on Addiction, Recovery and More (Austin360) 11/9/2011
Austin American-Statesman's Out & About coverage of Austin Recovery's first Artists on Recovery fundraiser.
- Austin Recovery Enlists Celebrity Help (KXAN) 8/30/2011
Rob Lowe to speak at Austin Recovery's Artists on Recovery Fundraiser benefiting Family House.
- Rob Lowe to Speak at Austin Recovery Luncheon (Austin360) 8/29/2011
Rob Lowe to be the first guest speaker in the Artists on Recovery series to benefit Austin Recovery at ACL Live.
- Austin Recovery Investing $2.5M to Grow (Austin Business Journal) 8/12/2011
Austin Recovery plans to build a $2.5 million Family House for its substance abuse program catering to mothers and their young children.
- Rehab Admissions up after Winehouse Death (FOX 7) 7/28/2011
Austin Recovery sees record number of admissions in the days following the tragic death of singer Amy Winehouse
- Heroin Deaths Rising in Austin (FOX 7) 7/1/2011
Austin Recovery Clinical Services Representative Ilana Baar comments on the rising death toll from heroin overdose in Austin, and why the number may be on the rise
- Learning from Relapse (TheFix.com) 6/13/2011
Austin Recovery Clinical Services Representative Ilana Baar speaks to TheFix.com about relapse
- Father and Son Prescription Abuse Illustrates National Trend (YNN) 5/19/2011
Austin Recovery Director of Admissions, Angela Vickrey comments on trend of prescription drug abuse
- KVUE Morning Show Highlights Austin Recovery on Intervention Show (KVUE) 2/7/2011
- Heroin Addiction on the Rise (KXAN) 1/6/2011
Austin Recovery staff provides information, interviews and testimonials about heroin use in Austin
- CRADLES, a program threatened by Family Connections fall-out finds new home (Examiner.com) 11/23/2010
- The Cradle Won't Fall (Red Orbit) 11/16/2010
- Family Connections Program Finds a Home (Austin American-Statesman) 11/15/2010