Most smokers have thought about quitting, and many have even tried. Unfortunately, despite the well-established knowledge of the negative health consequences of both first and second hand smoke, many tobacco users are still unable to quit. As addiction treatment professionals here to help our clients establish healthy lifestyles, we would like to make the transition away from tobacco a realistic and obtainable goal for our clients. Austin Recovery continues to be dedicated in helping all of our clients and staff achieve abstinence from tobacco, working towards becoming a completely tobacco-free agency for all campuses’ clients, staff and visitors. In preparation for this change, we currently offer multiple avenues for clients to quit using tobacco, including limited smoke breaks, in the easiest and most comfortable ways possible. Tobacco cessation will eventually be completely integrated into clients’ treatment plans as they recover from alcohol and drug addiction.
Did you know?
Of course you know that tobacco is deadly and that nicotine is highly addictive... but did you know about these other benefits to quitting?
- Recent studies show that abstaining from all mood-altering chemicals (including cigarettes and other tobacco products) actually increases the likelihood of a recovering alcoholic or addict maintaining long-term sobriety, reducing the risk for relapse by 25%.
- Using nicotine replacement therapy not only helps you quit using tobacco with less anxiety and craving, but also reduces withdrawal symptoms from opiates, alcohol, and benzodiazepines.
- Quitting saves you money! The average smoker will save $225 per month, and nearly $2,737 a year by quitting.
- Heroin addicts that use tobacco are more likely to die from their tobacco use than their heroin addiction.
- It is easier to quit in a supportive environment with trained professionals and therapeutic tools available.
How does Austin Recovery help with tobacco cessation?
- Certified tobacco treatment specialists on staff
- Nicotine replacement therapy (patches) available
- Group and individual counseling
- Experiential acoustic therapies to decrease anxiety, decrease cravings, and promote relaxation and cellular recovery
- Therapeutic recreation and healthy alternatives to tobacco use
- Exercise and diet plans to manage weight gain