Austin Recovery is often in the news. We hope you'll enjoy the stories and information below.
If you are a reporter, writer, film maker, TV show, news program, magazine journalist, blogger, tweeter or just interested in writing about or sharing the mission of Austin Recovery, we are happy to help. We also provide expert commentary on topics related to drugs, alcohol, addiction, drug abuse, alcoholism, treatment and rehab. For any of these, please contact Erika Nguyen at 512-697-8537 or firstname.lastname@example.org. She’ll be happy to help you immediately.
LOGOS: If you need the Austin Recovery logo, please right click on these files to download a web (jpg) or print (eps) version.
Austin Recovery Press Releases:
- Golden Globe Winner Jeffrey Tambor to Raise Awareness About Alcoholism and Family Mental Health at Austin Recovery Benefit (4/20/15)
Austin Recovery Headlines:
- Researchers Find Startling Trend Among Pregnant Teen Drinkers (KXAN) 7/10/15
Substance abuse is high among pregnant middle school students, according to a new study. One of our alumna, "Heather," bravely shares her story about her own substance abuse while pregnant, how it affected her daughter, and how she eventually became clean and sober through counseling and help at The Council on Recovery.
- Austin Police See Huge Spike in Edible THC Cases (KVUE) 6/9/15
Austin police report they have seen a rise in THC (the chemical that causes the psychological effects in marijuana) in candy and liquid forms that is making it more accessible and appealing to our children. KVUE reporter Jenni Lee spoke to to one of our Admissions Specialists, Mason Chambers, in this special report.
- Teenagers Among Those in Hospital During K2 Spike (KEYE) 6/8/15
KEYE reporter Adam Hammons discusses the rise in K2 overdoses and deaths in the Austin area with The Council on Recovery Admissions Supervisor, Scott Lynch.
- Austin Recovery Rebrands as The Council on Recovery (Addiction Professional) 6/11/15
Addiction Professional announces the rebrand of Austin Recovery and The Council on Alcohol and Drugs Housto nto The Council on Recovery.
- Spirit of Recovery: Recovery is For Families (Unity Online Radio) 5/12/15
Director of Treatment Services, Elizabeth Divine, M.Ed., LPC-S, shares practical perspectives on how family recovery creates healthy living for each person.
- Austin Recovery Luncheon with Jeffrey Tambor, iAct's Hope Awards with Michael Morton and More (Austin 360) 5/10/15
Read Michael Barnes' full recap of our Spring luncheon where Golden Globe-winner Jeffrey Tambor addressed over 600 guests.
- States Banning Powdered Alcohol Before It Hits Stores (KEYE) 4/17/15
Have you heard of #palcohol - powdered alcohol? It recently received FDA approval and Texas lawmakers along with local treatment facilities, like Austin Recovery, are concerned about its impact on our community. Watch the full story on palcohol from KEYE reporter Melanie Torre featuring our Director of Admissions, Brooke Williams.
- Community News: Austin Recovery Has a New Name (Austin American Statesman) 3/20/15
After a 2013 merger with a Houston addiction treatment center, Austin Recovery will now share a new name with its partner, the Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston.
- Officials: Transportation of Liquid Meth on the Rise (KEYE) 3/6/15
Nadia Galindo with KEYE reports on the rise of the transportation (and seizure) of liquid meth into the Austin area. Mason Chambers with Austin Recovery comments on what we are seeing from a drug rehabilitation facility's perspective.
- Amplify Austin 2015: Mental Healing - Bringing Action to Mental Health Awareness (Austin Chronicle) 3/4/15
The Austin Chronicle highlights Austin Recovery's participation in Amplify Austin, a 24-hour giving campaign aimed at raising funds for non-profits in the greater Austin community. The article showcases Austin Recovery's Center for Recovering Families and reiterates that addiction doesn’t just affect the addicted; the family and community must be involved in order to break the cycle of addiction.
- APD: Houston Gang Targeting Central Texas Pharmacies Pills (KEYE) 2/25/15
Austin Recovery Admissions Call Center Supervisor, Scott Lynch, comments on the rising underground prescription drug problems taking root in Central Texas with KEYE reporter, Alex Boyer.
- More Mothers Getting DWIs With Children in Vehicle (KEYE) 10/24/14
Austin Recovery Clinical Director Sarah Plyler discusses a shift in our culture which may explain why more moms are receiving DWIs, sometimes with children in their cars.
- DEA Tightens Restrictions on Hydrocodone Products (KXAN) 10/6/14
KXAN reporter, Kevin Schwaller, discusses the new, tighter restrictions on hydrocodone drugs such as Vicodin the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has recently put into place with our Admissions Supervisor, Scott Lynch.
- New Beer, Liquore Delivery App Launching in Austin (KEYE) 10/1/14
Dr. Marilyn Vache, Medical Director at Austin Recovery, visits with reporter Rachel Cox on the announcement of a new smart phone app that would allow beer and liquor to be delivered straight to somebody's front door in Austin which could help keep drunk drivers off the roadways but could also make drinking too much at home easier for addicts.
- New Restrictions on Popular Pain Killer (KEYE) 9/29/14
Austin Recovery Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache, weighs in with reporter Lydia Pantazes on the new restrictions surrounding Hydrocodone and the possible consequences.
- Heroin Use on the Rise in Central Texas (KEYE) 9/26/14
Reporter Melanie Lofton speaks with Austin Recovery Admissions Supervisor, Scott Lynch, on the recent rise in heroin use in Central Texas.
- Round Rock Mom Spreading the Word After Son Dies from "25i" (KTBC Fox 7) 6/27/14
A recent deadly overdose of an Austin boy on 25i-NBOMe (aka N-Bomb) sparks conversation about the dangers of synthetic drugs. Austin Recovery Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache, discusses the unpredictable nature of synthetics and current drug trends with reporter Casey Claiborne.
- Austin Recovery Opens Family-Oriented Outpatient Program (Addiction Professional) 6/27/14
This week, Austin Recovery launched its Center for Recovering Families, a family-focused outpatient program that will complement other family-focused services in the organization.
- APD: "Walking Dead" K-2 Responsible for Surge of Overdoses (KTBC Fox 7) 5/9/14
Austin Police think a batch of K-2 called "The Walking Dead" may have been responsible for the at least 37 overdoses in the Austin area since last Wednesday. Austin Recovery staff, Scott Lynch, speaks with reporter Casey Claiborne on the dangers.
- Why Synthetic Drugs Gain Popularity (KEYE) 5/9/14
Scott Lynch, Austin Recovery staff and former addict, discusses his personal and professional experience with dangerous designer drugs in light of the recent K2 (a synthetic marijuana) overdoses in the Austin area.
- Supporting Children Affected by a Parent's Addiction (Recovery Today) 5/1/14
Austin Recovery's Elizabeth Devine encourages addiction to be treated not as a secret but as an open conversation in this article posted to Recovery Today.
- Suspected Mass Drug Overdose in Downtown Austin (KEYE) 5/1/14
KEYE reporter Alex Boyer speaks with Austin Recovery Admissions Counselor, Allen Jones, on recent mass overdoeses apparently due to a synthetic marijuana, K2, in downtown Austin.
- Spike in Potential K2 Overdoses Concerns Police (KXAN) 5/1/14
Austin police and medics received or responded to 15 drug overdose incidents within a 23 hour period on on May 1 for apparent reactions to the synthetic marijuana known as K2, or Spice. Austin Recovery Admissions Counselor, Allen Jones, weighs in on the potential dangers and side effects of the drug.
- Barnes: Putting together Austin's entertainment districts (Austin American-Statesman) 4/23/14
Author Michael Barnes shares his thoughts on Austin Recovery's annual Speaker Series luncheon which featured Natalie Cole discussing her personal battle with addiction and how she ultimately entered into recovery.
- RECAP: Austin Recovery Speaker Series Luncheon with Natalie Cole (Austin Social Planner) 4/22/14
Read Kevin Smothers' full recap of our Spring luncheon where Natalie Cole addressed over 700 guests.
- Austin Recovery, Toast of the Town, Easter Quiches and More (Austin360) 4/16/14
Michael Barnes comments on Austin Recovery's annual Speaker Series luncheon which featured Grammy-winning artist Natalie Cole sharing her story of overcoming addiction.
- Is It Time for the City of Austin to Sober Up? (KEYE) 3/17/2014
Austin Recovery Director of Admissions, Sarah Hartford, speaks with KEYE reporter, Adam Racusin, on why individuals make the choice to drive after they have been drinking.
- Travis County Considers Funding Sobriety Center (KEYE) 3/10/2014
KEYE reporter, Alex Boyer, reports on the new idea to create a sobering center in Travis County as an alternative to arrests and jail time for public intoxication. Austin Recovery Chief Operating Officer, Angela Vickrey, weighs in on the possible benefits of such a center.
- Police Warn Meth on the Rise in Austin, Central Texas Counties (Austin American-Statesman) 03/01/14
Austin Recovery Senior Counselor Keith Winfield and alumna Jane Bohls speak to the Austin American-Statesman for a story on rising methamphetamine use in Austin.
- Prescription Drugs Seen as a Gateway to Heroin (FOX 7) 2/18/2014
Austin Recovery staff discusses how commonly prescribed drugs can potentially lead to addiction issues with FOX 7's Ashley Paredez.
- KEYE In-Depth Examines the Dangers of Xanax (KEYE) 2/18/2014
KEYE Reporter Melanie Lofton speaks with Austin Recovery's Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache, on the dangers of abusing the prescription drug, Xanax.
- On the 50th Anniversary of the Surgeon General’s Report on Smoking and Health, KXAN Speaks with Austin Recovery on How They Help Clients Quit (KXAN) 2/10/2014
Kate Weidaw reports live from Austin Recovery’s Edith Royal Campus with Director of Treatment Services Elizabeth Devine.
- Hidden Addiction: Heroin in the Suburbs(KEYE) 2/6/2014
In light of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent heroin overdose and subsequent death, KEYE discusses the dangers of heroin with Austin Recovery staff and how prescription drug abuse can easily segue into a heroin addiction, even in the suburbs.
- Study: Addiction Increases Risk of Suicide (KEYE) 2/4/2014
Austin Recovery Staff speaks with KEYE regarding a new study that shows adult drug users are far more likely to seriously consider suicide than non-uses -- by some 20 percent.
- New Addition to the Austin Recovery Leadership Team in Anticipation of New Program Launch (Addiction Professional) 1/29/2014
With new hire, Abi Williams, Ph.D., LCSW, CSAT, CMAT, CGP, Austin Recovery prepares to launch its newest program, the Center for Recovering Families (CRF), in Austin this spring.
- WilCo Teens Jailed For Alleged RX Drug Robbery (KEYE) 12/16/2013
KEYE speaks with Austin Recovery Lead Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch about the dangers and addictive properties of promethazine with codeine, also known on the streets as “lean,” “syzurrp,” or “purple drank.”
- When Drinking Becomes a Problem (FOX 7) 12/11/2013
After the verdict in Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg's case, FOX 7 speaks with Austin Recovery Chief Operating Officer Angela Vickrey in a live interview at the 3:00 mark in this video about how alcoholism can become a problem for an individual.
- Lehmberg Keeps Her Job, Judge Rules (KXAN) 12/11/2013
Austin Recovery Admissions Director Sarah Hartford speaks with KXAN about different paths to recovery from alcoholism after the judge rules in favor of DA Rosemary Lehmberg keeping her job.
- Lehmberg Case Raises Questions About Alcohol (KEYE) 12/11/2013
In light of the recent court case against Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg, KEYE speaks with Austin Recovery Counselor Gayle Sauer and Admissions Director Sarah Hartford about substance dependence and alcoholism.
- APD Works to Get Molly off Austin Streets (FOX 7) 11/14/2013
Austin Recovery Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache weighs in on the party drug "molly" for a FOX 7 investigation.
- Think Twice Before You Hit The Medicine Cabinet (KEYE) 11/11/2013
KEYE's Judy Maggio speaks with Austin Recovery Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache about the addictive nature of popular anxiety medication Xanax, and how to know when you have a problem.
- Pill Addiction Rises, FDA Wants Change (KXAN) 10/28/2013
Austin Recovery Admissions Specialist, Scott Lynch and Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache contribute to a story on the rising rates of abuse of hydrocodone and other prescription painkillers.
- NY Deaths Cause Concern For New Braunfels Concert (KEYE) 9/6/2013
KEYE Reporter Melanie Lofton speaks to Austin Recovery Medical Director, Dr. Marilyn Vache about the dangers of the drug "molly" prior to a large outdoor music concert in New Braunfels.
- Kratom: Designer Drug or Miracle Herb (KEYE) 9/5/2013
Angela Vickrey, Chief Client Services Officer at Austin Recovery contributes to KEYE's story on kratom, especially the dangers and withdrawal symptoms associated with using the substance in large doses.
- U.S. AG Wants to Cut Jail Sentences for Low-Level Drug Offenders (FOX 7) 8/12/2013
Austin Recovery Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch shares his opinion on why diverting users to drug treatment facilities is more beneficial than sending them to jail.
- Synthetic Drug Tests Available (KEYE) 7/24/2013
Austin Recovery Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch shares why he feels the new synthetic drug tests will help to save lives.
- Friend: Murder Suspect had Promising Life before Addiction Took Over (FOX 7) 7/23/2013
Sarah Hartford, Austin Recovery Director of Admissions, shares important information on what friends and family can do when they see a loved one struggling with alcoholism and addiction.
- Growing Number of Middle-Aged Women Treated for Alcoholism (KEYE) 7/1/2013
Wine is leading to a growing problem with alcoholism and binge drinking, especially among well educated, middle age women. Austin Recovery alumna Joanne I. shares her story, and Austin Recovery Medical Director Dr. Marilyn Vache contributes.
- Synthetic Drug Manufacturers Target Teens with Packaging (KVUE) 6/26/2013
Austin Recovery Chief Client Services Officer Angela Vickrey speaks on the dangers of synthetic drugs and their misleading packaging.
- Austin Police Help DEA with Drug Raid (KXAN) 6/26/2013
A massive operation targeting those who make and distribute synthetic designer drugs took place in more than 30 states and netted 150 arrests, including six in Austin. Sarah Hartford, Austin Recovery Director of Admissions, shares about the dangerous effects of these substances.
- Federal Agents Conduct Synthetic Marijuana Raids (FOX 7) 6/26/2013
Austin Recovery Lead Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch shares his personal experience with synthetic drugs, the effects of which are a frightening opposition to their harmless-looking packaging.
- Central Texans Continue Meth Abuse Battle (KEYE) 5/29/2013
KEYE reporter Melanie Lofton speaks to Austin Recovery Admissions Director Sarah Hartford, as well as alumnus Brian P. about the growing meth problem, and how treatment can help create more success stories.
- 911 Suicide Calls Up in Leander (KEYE) 5/24/2013On the eve of Memorial Day weekend, Austin Recovery Senior Counselor Brooke Williams comments on the serious consequences of alcohol and mixing prescription medications when dealing with a mental health issue.
- Addicts Stealing Identities To Get Their Fix (KEYE) 5/13/2013
Nationwide, nearly 7,000,000 people abuse prescription medication. But prescription drug fraud is running rampant in Texas. Austin Recovery Senior Counselor Brooke Williams comments.
- Mother Shares Tragic Story of her Son's Death by Prescription Drugs (FOX 7) 5/2/2013
Austin Recovery's Angela Vickrey and Scott Lynch weigh in on the serious issue of addiction among teenagers.
- Love My Austin Job: Austin Recovery's Maryse Saffle (Austin American-Statesman) 4/20/2013
It was at Austin Recovery where Maryse Saffle turned her life around more than 11 years ago. Today, she’s built a career helping others do the same at the nonprofit treatment center.
- Football Legend Speaks Out About Toughest Opponent (Westlake Picayune) 4/18/2013
Hall of famer Earl Campbell tells personal tale of addiction, recovery. When Austin Recovery, the largest nonprofit drug and alcohol treatment center in Texas, hosted its second annual fundraising luncheon at Moody Theater on March 26, organizers brought out a big gun to get to the heart of the addiction issue and attract sponsors.
- Hall of Fame Running Back Helps Raise Funds for Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment (Addiction Professional) 3/29/2013
Austin Recovery, the largest non-profit drug and alcohol treatment center in Texas, hosted its second annual Speaker Series fundraiser luncheon at Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater. The event featured famed University of Texas Longhorn Running Back and Hall of Fame Houston Oiler Earl Campbell as the keynote speaker.
- Austin Recovery Luncheon with Earl Campbell (Austin360) 3/28/2013
Out & About's Michael Barnes covers Austin Recovery's fundraiser luncheon at ACL Live.
- Does Austin Have a Drinking Problem? (KVUE) 3/27/2013
Forbes says that Austin is one of America's drunkest cities, and alcohol sales are up five percect from this time last year. Austin Recovery's Angela Vickrey comments.
- 10 Social Media Awards Finalists Tweet for Better Community (Austin American-Statesman) 3/9/2013
Austin Recovery is one of this year's 10 winners for the Statesman Social Media Awards. As social media and what people do with it have evolved, so have the awards. This year’s Social Media Awards honors those who take their tweeting, Facebook posting and pinning (and so much more) to a new level by having an impact on their real-world community.
- Prescription Pill Popping a Growing Problem (KEYE) 2/22/2013
KEYE news digs deeper into the pill popping problem in Austin. While most people take medicines only for the reasons their doctors prescribe them, it's estimated an increasing amount will build a tolerance and become hooked. Reporter Angel Covarrubias interviews Austin Recovery's Chief Client Services Officer Angela Vickrey, and Family House alumna Amanda G.
- Drug Overdose Deaths Only Getting Worse (FOX 7) 2/20/2013
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, drug overdose deaths have only gotten worse. Austin Recovery Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Cyndi Kidd weigh in on the rise in prescription drug abuse and overdose.
- Heartburn High (KEYE) 2/12/2013
Just like products containing pseudoephedrine, some drug stores now keep heartburn medication under lock and key. A KEYE Reporter speaks with Austin Recovery's Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner and an Austin Recovery alumna about the use of over-the-counter meds to enhance highs.
- Study: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms Could Help Cancer Patients (KEYE) 2/6/2013
A new study finds the active chemical in some mushrooms may help cancer patients who are suffering from psychological distress. Austin Recovery experts weigh in.
- DWI Tests Turning up more than Alcohol (KXAN) 2/5/2013
Blood samples showing legal and illegal drugs. Austin Recovery Admissions Specialist Scott Lynch and Nurse Manager Debbie Hooks contribute.
- Football Great Earl Campbell to Share his Rise over Addiction (Renew) 1/18/2013
The legendary Longhorn running back will be keynote speaker at Austin Recovery spring event.
- Merger of Texas Centers Enhances Continuum of Services (Addiction Professional) 1/16/2013
Mel Taylor, the CEO of two newly combined addiction treatment organizations with a strong presence in Houston and Austin, Texas firmly believes that the type of business transaction he has seen to completion will be duplicated in many other locations.
- Austin Recovery Merging with Houston Drug Program (Austin American-Statesman) 1/11/2013
After 45 years of operation, Austin Recovery is merging with a Houston nonprofit that also treats Texans for alcohol and drug addiction.
- Austin Recovery, Houston Nonprofit Merge (Austin Business Journal) 1/10/2013
Austin Recovery, the largest nonprofit provider of residential drug and alcohol treatment in Texas, has merged with the Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston.
- Marijuana Now Legal in Washington (FOX 7) 12/6/2012
Austin Recovery Chief Client Operations Officer Angela Vickrey comments on marijuana's effect on the body.
- With Pressure to Succeed Heavy upon Students, Prescription Pills Take Over Texas Schools (KEYE-TV) 11/8/2012
Austin Recovery Medical Director Dr. Craig Franke and Admissions Director Angela Vickrey lend their professional expertise to an in-depth story about Adderall abuse among high school and college students.
- Royal Gave to the Austin Community in Many Ways (Austin American-Statesman) 11/7/2012
Legendary Texas Coach Darrell Royal leaves a legacy of more than just football, having given back to the local community in many ways, including his and his wife Edith's decades-long support of local non-profit drug and alcohol treatment cen