Drug Rehab, Alcohol & Drug Addiction Treatment Center in Texas – Austin Recovery
What to Bring
Family members may drop off any of these items at the reception desk at our Hicks Family Ranch between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday or send them through the mail to Clients name c/o Austin Recovery, P.O. Box 28610, Austin, TX 78755 .
To help you pack for your stay at Austin Recovery, click here to download the Admission Inventory Checklist, which details quantities of specific items allowed.
*Note: Some of the items below may be brought, but may not be permitted to be kept on your person. Therefore, some items may be held by staff and stored until needed.
- Bring enough prescription medication to cover the length of stay in treatment.
Modest, comfortable clothes are best. Do NOT bring revealing shorts, skirts, halter tops, tank tops, mini skirts or muscle shirts. We generally recommend that you pack 7 days-worth of clothing. See the Admission Inventory Checklist for exact quantities.
We recommend that you pack 30 days-worth of hygiene products.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo*, conditioner*, hair products*
- Comb/hair brush
- Hair dryer and/or curling iron
- Feminine hygiene products
- Disposable razors
- Shaving cream
- Nail clippers
- Necessary grooming and hygiene products*
- NO aerosol sprays, including deodorant and hairspray
- Do NOT bring perfume, cologne or aftershave products containing alcohol
- Toilet paper and bath soaps are provided.
*Do NOT bring items containing alcohol in the first 3 ingredients. Read the label to be sure. Avoid alcohol-based products.
Austin Recovery provides all linens that a client should need during their time in treatment. We do not allow clients to bring any furniture or linens with them into treatment. This includes sheets, comforters, pillows, towels, and other blankets.
Due to the structure of the day and to reduce loss, we recommend you bring only the jewelry you wear constantly. Please refer to the Admission Inventory Checklist for exact items and quantities allowed.
- Three nutritious meals are provided each day, as are snacks and beverages. Please do not bring additional food or soft drinks.
- Credit/debit cards
- If you smoke, please bring your own cigarettes (30-day programs: no more than 5 packs; 90-day programs: no more than one carton).*
- Stationery and stamps
- Alarm clock
- Driver’s license, ID, passport, etc.
*Austin Recovery continues to be dedicated in helping all of our clients and staff achieve abstinence from tobacco, working towards becoming a completely tobacco-free agency for all campuses’ clients, staff and visitors. In preparation for this change, we currently offer multiple avenues for clients to quit using tobacco, including limited smoke breaks, in the easiest and most comfortable ways possible. Tobacco cessation will eventually be completely integrated into clients’ treatment plans as they recover from alcohol and drug addiction. Click here for more information.
Reading Material and Books
To help you focus on recovery, only recovery, self-help and spiritual-based books or reading material is allowed. See Admission Inventory Checklist for exact quantities.
Storage Space is not available
A family member or friend must pick up items not allowed or left behind within three business days, with the exception of medication, which can only be held for 24 hours. Austin Recovery is not responsible for these items.
- Phone time is determined by your counselor.
- Mobile phones and pagers are not allowed on campus.
- Laptops and other internet-capable devices are not allowed.
WHAT NOT TO BRING:
- Alcohol or drugs
- Narcotics or prohibited client prescriptions
- Unapproved or previously opened over-the-counter medications
- Bleach, ammonia, or other cleaning supplies
- Permanent markers
- Cards, games
- Personal defense chemicals or other devices
- MP3 players/iPods, radios
- Cell phones or pagers
- Laptops or other internet-capable devices
- Personal cameras or recording devices
- Music CD’s, Tapes or Movies
- Revealing clothing
- Clothing with designs or wording that promotes alcohol, drugs, violence, profanity, or is considered obscene.
- Reading material/books outside of recovery-based, self-help or spiritual reading
- Personal grooming items:
- Coloring agents
- Hair removal products
- Hair accessories with sharp points
- Metal nail files
- Alcohol-based cologne, aftershave, hairspray or mouthwash
- Nail clippers (restricted – may be allowed in moderation)
- Scissors (restricted – may be allowed in moderation)
- Electric clippers (restricted – may be allowed in moderation)
- Irons (restricted – may be allowed in moderation)
- Nail Polish & Nail Polish Remover (restricted – may be allowed in moderation)
Rooms will be inspected daily and searched randomly. Discovery of contraband of any sort may result in discharge.